Friday, June 12, 2009

Skipping Across Streams


Convergence and conjunctions abound as I figure out how to balance my ambitions with my aspirations and inclinations. My cousin Debbie sent me this YouTube video of an amazing young pianist... watching him play inspires me.

The gallery is vibrating with Yvonne O'Brien's photography show: light, structure, space. Her work hangs through June 22nd. If you've not seen the show please come by to see these images. I know you will be glad you did.

We'll be hanging a new show next week: Facing West. Local artist Nathaniel Franklin brings his sculpture and paintings into the gallery. We're still discussing the date for his artist's reception and I'll let you know what date to put aside as soon as I can.

I'm really proud of the work I've been doing with Des Moines Schools. We're working on funding efforts and just completed an application to the NEA for Learning In the Arts funds. The grant reads well and the program samples look great. I'm impressed with how much we've progressed since our first attempt last year. The NEA is looking at receiving an increase in it's budget of $15 million which would be very helpful. Please support the arts and let your legislators know that you are making arts your priority.

I want to thank Russ Ballew and Karen Anderson for coming out to entertain us last Live @ Studio C! The theme was Compassion and we enjoyed a great show which left everyone talking about the roll of faith in their lives and also celebrating our many blessings. Thank you too to everyone who came out to hear these wonderful musicians. If you've not heard Karen play her harps you simply must plan on coming to our show in November when Karen will be our featured act.

Our June theme is Dear Dad. The date is June 28th and the show starts at 5:30. My sister Karyna Cragin is the featured act and returns with her African balafone, her marimba, and hopefully a guitar and some songs for our piano. Tim Keller is in the spotlight singing his songs and reading poetry or stories from his growing collection. Bring your stories of and for your fathers or father figures in your life and sign up for our open mike. Remember there is a piano here and we welcome all forms of creative expression. It will be a fine summer night to bring a friend with you too. I'm making some nut breads and will have great coffee freshly perked and iced-mint tea. Should be a great evening! Come on out.

Summer Art! class schedule is now available. Next week we will be working with pastel on paper.... this is one of my favorite mediums. Some of my current "in-progress" work can be seen on my Flickr site here. I like to call my pastel work painting since the chalk moves so well on paper and is easily blended. Working with the sticks of pastel usually leads to smudging with my fingers. Edges are places to explore as colors meld or bounce off of each other depending on the desired effect. Call 575-278-3517 or email to enroll or to ask questions.

Chocolate is back in stock. We've got 77% humidity and a 21% chance of rain so we are getting on our rain dancing shoes and looking forward to a prime rib dinner at our annual EMS FunFest dinner & dance tonight.

Life is Beautiful!

Christina

No comments: