Friday, September 3, 2010

It's Framed!

I've been doing a lot of traveling lately; alas, my promise to update the blog weekly has not been met. However, I am home now for a while and have lots of news. I thank you, loyal readers and visitors for checking in on me while I was out and about.

I also want to thank Karen Anderson who graciously agreed to reschedule her harp concert to November as the featured act at our upcoming 4th annual Show of Gratitude. Because the Juan Siddi Flamenco Dance Company was bringing their concert to the Shuler Theater I asked her to reschedule so we'd be sure to have a good audience for her. Turns out that several people were indeed planning on coming to hear her and we would have had a good night... However, in hindsight, it appears that it was my deep love of flamenco that was key to the decision to reschedule. I LOVE flamenco and was thrilled to accompany my husband on our 11th anniversary to see this absolutely brilliant show. Tim Keller was reviewing the show and so you can see some of Tim's photos from the show here at his blog.

It's a beautiful New Mexico Indian summer day here in Des Moines New Mexico.... the sun is bright and there is a crisp breeze fluffing the leaves in the trees and on the vines. I'm grateful to call New Mexico my home state and to have such a deep love for the land, weather and people of this enchanted land.

I had a very productive and informative time at the recent New Mexico Arts ArtsLink Conference. It was inspiring to hear experts in the field share their experiences and wisdom. This conference represented another example of the excellent services to art councils, art educators and artists that our state provides through the dedicated work of New Mexico Arts.

New in the gallery~ I've brought home four pieces of newly framed work. Two are awaiting the jurors' decision for the 34th annual International Art Exhibit and Sale coming up in Raton, New Mexico, one is already hanging in its new home in Las Vegas, New Mexico and two currently hang here at Studio C in the main gallery. I started the series in 2003 with photographs and a color pencil drawing. The series of five pastels was begun in 2007 and in 2010 has come to completion. It's been a long journey but the work comes in its own good time. I call the series The Road to Kindness. It's for the journey I'm embarked on as I strive to live my life authentic to my soul's creative voice and the gifts I want to honor.

There's new chocolate! In addition to the endangered species chocolate bars I carry I've added endangered species new line of covered morsels... nuts, berries, toffee and mixes. They have been tantalizing visitors and enriching home-made ice creams too. Yum!

Coming up at the end of September, Live at Studio C! looks to be a wonderful show. We have a spotlight presentation on local history given by Jaecke Hughes-Daniel and will feature the inspiring poetry of George Greco. The evening starts at 5:30 on Saturday September 25th on the eve the 3rd annual Capulin Volcano Run. I'll blog Wednesday about George who wowed our Live Poetry! campfire gathering in 2008, inspiring me so much that this year I asked him to come entertain us. I am thrilled to present him as our featured act.

Coming up soon, just three miles east of Studio C ~Gallery & ArtSpace, at The Mandala Center: International Day of Peace 2010. Studio C offers its sincere thanks to The Mandala Center for bringing a week full of wonderful, inspiring and special events promoting peace in the world to Union County New Mexico. What an amazing opportunity to experience Tibetan Mystical Arts in our neighborhood! A heartfelt welcome to the Buddhist monks and all the visitors, from far and near, who will come to our area to share in the experience.

And this labor day weekend I turn my attention to the west face of Studio C.... the paint cans will be opening soon, beginning phase two of my mural painting process. Having bit off a giant chunk of wall to paint, it will be a huge rush to finally see Galardias in full gargantuan bloom on the gallery. They are blooming now and their bright cheerful native blooms are my muses.

I hope you've enjoyed the news and invite you to prepare to share your talent, inspiration and stories at our open mike on the last Saturday of the month. Send an email to StudioC@bacavalley.com to let me know you want to sign up. I appreciate all who tell friends and family about the fun we have and the magic that happens when we listen to each other in a warm and welcoming circle.

May you experience bliss this weekend!

Christina

2 comments:

Laura Brewer said...

Christina, I want you to know that there are so many of us that truly appreciate all that you do to promote the arts and creativity in our part of the world. Thank you so much! Although I cannot attend all of the wonderful events at Studio C, I am so grateful that you provide this fabulous venue for so many talents!----Laura

Anonymous said...

enjoyed your blog and all it, and you, inspires! ~ Angel